PancreasFest is all about friendships and relationships.
FRIDAY NIGHT GALA – The Friday Night Event will be an informal buffet dinner at Professor Whitcomb’s Home!!!! The Dinner is complementary for PancreasFest registrants, and will require pre-registration with Joy Merusi by Wed. July 19, 2017 for a limited number of attendees. Contact Joy now – firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic medicine and translational research are enterprises like “rugby” (see Whitcomb – 2015 Palade Medal Lecture). “It costs you your time and money (compared to other jobs), and has many setbacks, disappointments and losses. But we do it because we are academic physicians and scientists, because we are part of a team, and because we are dedicated to winning. I also believe that it is important to come together to celebrate great ideas, new innovations and the fun of being a member of hard working teams – where winning matters!”
The primary social event at PancreasFest is Thursday Night “on your own.” This allows like-minded physicians , scientists, support groups, industry and trainees to get together for an evening of good food and friendship.
Some attendees also take an extra day or two to visit the area. Here are some recommendations:
Pittsburgh – a TOP Destination for world-wide travel in 2017 – rated by Harper’s Bazaar Magazine. Top Food city of 2015 by Zagat. Contact the organizers for visits to faculty holds, or check out some of our favorites:
Favorite Places to Visit and Things to Do:
- Fallingwater – Kentuck Knob – 1 hour drive
- Cool Pittsburgh – various local events
- Carnegie Museums – 3 minute walk from conference
- Culture, Art and Theater – 5 minute Uber ride.
- Events – Downtown Pittsburgh
- Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens – 5 min walk
- The Frick Pittsburgh: House, Art & Cars – 4 minute Uber ride on 5th Ave.
- Pittsburgh History and Landmark Foundation – 😉
- Univ. Pitt. Cathedral Nationality Rooms – 2 min walk.
- Visit planner
Pittsburgh Magazine Best Restaurants Rankings (link)
Resturant – May needing advanced reservations
- Altius – Outstanding food / Outstanding view
- Avenue B – BYOB
- Big Burrito Group (Casbah, Soba, Kaya, Eleven, Umi, Mad Mex)
- Casbah – Great Mediterranean-inspired cuisine
- Legume Bistro – Good food – 3 minute walk from hotel
- Morcilla – ranked the #4 Restaurant in the USA by Bon Appetit
- Monterey Bay Fish Grotto – PF Surgeon’s favorite!
- Umami – Izakaya style Japanese Bar
Resturant – Walk in, but great food. (<10 min Uber ride) (all recommended by PF organizers!)
- Café Zinho – Shadyside – Portuguese (a Mrs. Whitcomb favorite)
- Butcher & the Rye – Downtown Pittsburgh
- Goucho Parrilla Argentina – Outstanding food – BYOB and wait in line!
- Girasole Resturant – Good Italian – NYC cafe feel
- Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh – Traditional gathering place for PF fun
- Mad Mex – Great mexican food (burritos!) – 10 min walk
- Plum Pan Asian – INSPPIRE favorite
- Point Brugge – Point Breeze PA – (a Dave Whitcomb favorite)
- Primanti Brother’s – Pittsburgh Famous (visitors – 3 min walk from venue on Forbes and Oakland Ave.)
- Stagioni – South Side
- Tamarind Flavor of India – Good food, 4 min walk
- Taiwanese Bistro Cafe 33 – Squirrel Hill
- Tan Izakaya – Sushi – Shadyside
- Urban Tap – Shadyside
Resturant – Within walking distance to PancreasFest