PancreasFest is MORE that outstanding talks!
It is all about friendships, relationships & effective collaborations.
Thursday Night Cruise and/or Baseball Game. – The Thursday Night Event will be an informal buffet dinner and cruse on the Gateway Clipper! The Dinner is for PancreasFest registrants, and will require pre-registration with Joy Merusi Contact Joy now – email@example.com
Following the Dinner Boat Cruise is an optional professional baseball game featuring Pittsburgh Pirates vs the NY Mets.
Group tickets and cost for the Cruise and/or the Baseball game will be posted prior to PF18.
Philosophy of PF. Academic medicine and translational research are enterprises like “rugby” (see Whitcomb – 2015 Palade Medal Lecture). “It costs you your time and money (compared to other jobs), and has many setbacks, disappointments and losses. But we do it because we are academic physicians and scientists, because we are part of a team, and because we are dedicated to winning. I also believe that it is important to come together to celebrate great ideas, new innovations and the fun of being a member of hard working teams – where winning matters!”
The primary social event at PancreasFest is Thursday Night. This allows like-minded physicians, scientists, support groups, industry and trainees to get together for an evening of good food and friendship.
Some attendees also take an extra day or two to visit the area. Here are some recommendations:
Pittsburgh – a TOP Destination for world-wide travel in 2017 – rated by Harper’s Bazaar Magazine. Top Food city of 2015 by Zagat. Contact the organizers for visits to faculty holds, or check out some of our favorites:
Favorite Places to Visit and Things to Do:
- Fallingwater – Kentuck Knob – 1 hour drive
- Cool Pittsburgh – various local events
- Carnegie Museums – University of Pittsburgh campus
- Culture, Art and Theater – Uber, Lift or taxi ride.
- Events – Downtown Pittsburgh
- Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens – Pitt campus area
- The Frick Pittsburgh: House, Art & Cars – on 5th Ave in Shadyside.
- Pittsburgh History and Landmark Foundation – 😉
- Univ. Pitt. Cathedral Nationality Rooms – University of Pittsburgh campus.
- Visit planner
Pittsburgh Magazine Best Restaurants Rankings (link)
Resturant – May needing advanced reservations
- Altius – Outstanding food / Outstanding view
- Avenue B – BYOB
- Big Burrito Group (Casbah, Soba, Kaya, Eleven, Umi, Mad Mex)
- The Carlton Restaurant – down town – high quality and value.
- Casbah – Great Mediterranean-inspired cuisine
- Grand Concourse – Walking distance from the Sheraton Hotel
- Legume Bistro – Good food – 3 minute walk from hotel
- Morcilla – ranked the #4 Restaurant in the USA by Bon Appetit
- Monterey Bay Fish Grotto – PF Surgeon’s favorite!
- Umami – Izakaya style Japanese Bar
Resturant – Walk in, but great food. (<10 min Uber ride) (all recommended by PF organizers!)
- Station Square Restaurants (walk from the hotel)
- Butcher & the Rye – Downtown Pittsburgh
- Goucho Parrilla Argentina – Outstanding food – BYOB and wait in line!
- Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh – Traditional gathering place for PF fun
- Primanti Brother’s – Pittsburgh Famous (multiple locations)
- Stagioni – South Side
- Urban Tap – South Side, Shadyside
Resturant – Near the University of Pittsburgh Campus.